Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Laah, La La, it's Summer Solstice!

Every year, my mother's family celebrates the Winter Solstice with an evening bonfire, either up on a particular hillside overlooking the Bear Lake valley or at the lake, itself, complete with live music (ranging from acoustic guitar to accordian - yes, accordian), singing, candles and lights everywhere and food and drink overflowing. In contrast, my father's family has paid particular attention to the Summer Solstice, trekking off to northwestern Utah every 5 years or so, to visit the Sun Tunnels. The last family trip was in either 2000 or 2001, but I missed it because I had to stay in Vegas for work... and it totally sucked.

I hope to go again at least one last time and to do so before either of my grandparents bow-out. Moving futher away from Ootah, when or how that will ever happen, I really don't know. Okay, now I'm just makin' myself sad, which was not the idea here. I just wanted to say HAPPY SUMMER SOLSTICE and offer some info. re: the Sun Tunnels.

Check it out here and here. * UPDATE *And here's another good article.

Note of correction: I did NOT take any of these pictures. They're from here and here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they are for sale on Ebay maybe you could buy them. They would make great conversation pieces at parties, tee,hee..

Amy said...

wow those pictures are awesome, Annejelynn.

Daly said...

The first photo looked like the tunnels were hovering in the air...WAY COOL!! It's definitely on my list of Places I'd Like to Visit!