Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Television Graveyard

Located in Silver Lake, CA - off Fletcher and Riverside, this hillside can be found behind the Arco gas station on the corner... I wish you could click on this pic and see a SUPER enlarged version to read some of the TV sets better (do so and you'll see only a slightly larger version).


Sampler: - Social In-Security - Shame on U.S. - Never Enough - More More More - Find Rhythm - Taste the Waste - Just Beat It - Ride It Out - Pray for Peace - Capital Culture - Part of the Problem - We Are One - Positive Response - Free Dumb - Angels Are For Real - Thoughts Have Power - Faith is Free



"Need or Greed" - this is an important question and I believe asking it on a regular basis could help alleviate half our problems when it comes to how we choose to spend our $$$ - yes, 'greed' may be too harsh a word, but so often the things we want, the things we think we need to have are flat out unnecessary, yet we blow our hard earned cash on crap that will never bring us any kind of real, lasting happiness, security or self-fulfillment; it all just leaves us wanting more.

An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. - Gaius Plinius (c. 61 - 112 A.D.)

The "Never Too Late" - my eyes welled up with tears when I read that one aloud to myself in the Arco parking lot. I'm tellin' ya, I was in my own little world while I stood there staring at this hill. A few people glanced my way while I was taking pictures and they each gave me looks as if they were oblivious to the hill, this graveyard of TVs and the many messages deliberately set there in plain view. how could they not look at the hill? had they seen it too many times before to care? I'd seen it several times before and I've always tried to read the messages - most of which I'd read before already. Even still, I can't ignore them.

And this time I read them all.

The oh-so cynical "It's not my problem" gets us nowhere...


Can you imagine - RESPECT FOR ALL!?!


see that center message? I tell myself this one often...because it's true.


the unfortunate reality of life... Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Amy said...

Wahhh! this was AWESOME.

Thank you for taking pictures of this and posting about it.

So weird, a month ago I put a link to a Michael Franti song that you commented on, and it was called, "Never Too Late."

Ern said...

Wow, what a powerful and thought-provoking post. Where exactly is Silver Lake? I would love to go see this. And it is amazing that people can just ignore it. We get so wrapped up in our little lives, that it is sometimes hard to be snapped out of it. But it is worth it to be snapped out once in a while. Thanks for the pictures.

Effie said...

Oh--wow--that is something to see--I'm going to link this photo for my "Poetry Corner" this week--"a picture speaks a thousand words" and that one definitely evokes 1000 and more!

Torrie said...

Awesome.

Susie said...

This is great blogging, IMO. Most of us would never have known about this, very cool, very quirky, crazy place. Thank you for sharing it.