Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina

I've been really busy this week with work and school starting - busy enough that I haven't had much time to follow the news... for one brief moment yesterday while in the midst of work, I checked MSNBC.com and I.WAS.JUST.STUNNED. Last night in class, we discussed the implications of Katrina upon public sector services - and when I got home, I finally watched the evening news.

Today I went back to MSNBC.com and watched a video clip of their most recent on-site news coverage. Glued to my monitor, surrounded by petty paperwork and stuff I'm supposed to be doing/"important for right now, right HERE" kinds of crap - and it all felt totally insignificant. The babies, all the bodies, the homes and businesses, the living conditions, or lack thereof - ? I closed my office door and began to read... I am absolutely baffled by the lack of federal response; that more hasn't been done by now for those of the Mississippi Delta. Makes me so sad.

3 comments:

Ern said...

I just heard on the radio this morning that in 2004, the funding for continually working on the levees in New Orleans was diverted to homeland security. This past year is the first time in the history of the city that the levees haven't been under constant repair and upkeep. Why don't we hear about this on the news? All those people.

ScottyGee said...

That's our wonderful President in action! It's shameful what those people have been through and what they have had to endure with help from our federal government. All the volunteers and rescue workers down there are heroes.

We are doing some fundraising for a fellow blogger, Amanda B, whose house in Hattiesburg was destroyed by the hurricane. Check my site or Metro's for info.

Anonymous said...

Hey honey. Thanks for checking in on us and for being so sweet. You are a sweetheart.