Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Stinky Cheese Man!

Second only to Tomie dePaola's "Wuggie Norple," this has gotta be one of my most very, very favoritest (not a word, I know) children's books in this whole wide world (arms now stretched out big and wide) ~ it's complete and total nonsense and it is juhhst utterly hysterical (I think)! I swear, its creation may be more for the amusement of the parents than the kids. I cannot wait to give it to my honey-man's angel boy-O... He began second grade this fall and the book is deemed "2nd grade reading material." I was absolutely thrilled when I read that! [Yah, I'm payin' attention to these details.] I just hope he likes it as much as I do!

When I first saw this book, I was at home in Iowa from Ricks College (now " BYU Idaho" - gag - choking - oh, please - excuse me, pardon me - GAG!) for the Christmas holiday. Sadly, I was about to break off an engagement and my little brother had the chicken pox = a purrfect distraction and at the same time, a perfect opportunity to simply spoil my cutie-patootie lil' bro. I think he was 6 years old at the time. The poor, pathetic lil' pox-covered pipsqueak was absolutely miserable, banished at all times to either his bedroom or a lonely couch. I was happy though to read him stories in bed, and I had him join me downstairs where I was staying in the guest room. I have a grrrrreat picture of him covered head to toe with crazy red bumps, wearing a huge, oversized T-shirt for Pjs, and he's sitting next to me on the guest bed - and you can tell he's trying hard to look serious, suspressing giggles.

My "little" brother now stands 6 feet tall, plus, oh another 6 inches! and still growing!?!? He's 14 years my junior, but "little" by no means. Every time I see him, I can't help but remember when he was only 3 years old, running down the basement hallway after me, begging at the top of his little baby 3 year old lungs for the return of HIS binky, yet giggling like a little mad man as I dangled it only inches from his reach... cruel, yes - but he was soooo damn cute!!! The cutest!!!



Anyhow, The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales! it's a Fabulous book! and a blast to read out loud! Note: it must be read aloud with various voices used; whether high pitched and fast or low and slow, make sure each of 'em is as goofy as could be = no other way is acceptable with a book like this. And yes, this post serves as my blantant plug for the book.
Check it out!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Isn't this the book that Meg Ryan is reading to the children in her book store in "You've Got Mail?"

Ern said...

I wish they wrote such imaginative books for adults!

Also, I TAGGED YOU! Rules are on my site if you feel like playing. Otherwise, carry on!

Unknown said...

I love where the wild things are too. for kids a bit younger tho. WHen I was young my favourite book was the Pokey little Puppy - I still have a copy of it and it's great.

Effie said...

My little sister got that book about 7 years ago or so--maybe more--I've read it quite a few times and laughed out loud!

I think Meg Ryan was reading that book in "You've Got Mail"