Friday, September 23, 2005

Our Wonderful Post Office - and a BAD email!!!

As most of us often do, when "Forward this to Everyone You Know" emails shuffle thru my inbox each week, I don't pay much attention to many of them. The one I received this past Tuesday, however, I found it to be reallllly quite upsetting.
(see below, beyond my message)

I was thinking about the email and decided, not only would I not forward it on to anyone in terms of giving my approval of its promotion, but instead, I want to forward it on and explain why I REFUSE to support its promotion.

Muslim bombings are carried out by EXTREMIST minorities of the Muslim faith. There are millions of GOOD Muslims in the world and many among us, living here in the U.S. today. In general, I refuse to boycott ANY ethnic/cultural or religious group based on the bad (for lack of a better word) few that may exisit, even if the "few" were in the thousands.

And if we want to refer back to certain times throughout history - for instance, the Crusades of England? terrorizing and killing countless Muslims? or various other atrocities against humanity, performed by "Christians"? - neither Christian ranks nor Muslims have any right to point the finger at each other... because those Muslim bombers - the idiots loyal to William the Conqueror or Adolf Hitler... those past ills against our fellow men are IN THE PAST and those carried on today? they should NOT reflect upon those WHO DID NOT actively take part in such horrific events.

I will not be part of the problem - no name calling, no stereo-typing, no preconceived judgemental notions, no gross over-generalizing of an entire group of people.

I won't do it and I think it's important not to send this stuff out ~ I wanted to share my perspective with you all, only because I care. Thanks for reading!

Please see below the email I received,
9/20/2005 6:41AM
============================

How ironic is this??!! They don't even believe in Christ and they're getting their own Christmas stamp, but don't dream of posting the ten commandments on federal property?



This one is impossible to believe. Scroll down for the text. If there is only one thing you forward today.....let it be this!

REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of PanAm Flight 103!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the World Trade Center in 1993!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the Marine barracks in Lebanon!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the military barracks in Saudi Arabia!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the American Embassies in Africa!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM bombing of the USS COLE!
REMEMBER the MUSLIM attack on the TwinTowerson 9/11/2001!
REMEMBER all the AMERICAN lives that were lost in those vicious MUSLIM attacks!

Now the United States Postal Service REMEMBERS and HONORS the EID MUSLIM holiday season with a commemorative first class holiday postage stamp.

REMEMBER to adamantly and vocally BOYCOTT this stamp when purchasing your stamps at the post office. To use this stamp would be a slap in the face to all those
AMERICANS who died at the hands of those whom this stamp honors.
REMEMBER to pass this along to every patriotic AMERICAN you know.

======================================
PLEASE, IF YOU SEE THIS EMAIL OR ANYTHING LIKE IT COME ALONG - Puhleeze, DO NOT FORWARD ON THIS KIND OF UTTER GARBAGE!
It spreads nothing but hate.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I so agree with your post and I delete those emails all the time. There is such a misunderstanding of the Muslim faith. Of course there are extremists - just as there are in any faith. Don't get me started. We need to just have some faith in humanity and let things like this fall by the wayside. Fear and hatred just breeds bad things

Ern said...

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I am tempted to let forth a slew of swearing ranting. But that wouldn't do any good. Your response to this was right on.

What about the MUSLIM civilions who have been killed by the US army in the "war on terror?" I guess this email is going on the assumption that our lives matter and Muslim lives don't.

Amy said...

Argh. The sad thing is that there are millions of people who will read this email and lap it up, the generalizations are easier to remember than actually working out one's own opinion.

Dang Cold.. said...

Sickening. Thanks for posting this, Annejelynn. Things like this need to be exposed and discussed.

dc

Susie said...

ohlord. Brings tears. What easy said.