Thursday, March 16, 2006

"Slightly Scattered" - or - "The Kirsch Search"

I wrote the first part below on February 28th, saved it in my drafts, and promptly forgot about it:

"To say I've been a tad outta sorts over the last couple months would be a totally right-on judgment... No, nothing really bad going on = no real crisis of any kind currently underway, but I'm so very scattered (severe understatement). My multi-tasking abilities are usually top notch, I gotta say, but lately? Those skilz have flown the coop! Twice this week already, I've almost stashed the milk away in the cabinet located BESIDE the fridge!?! I'm tellin' ya, I'm a veritable airhead right now."

TODAY: Later that same week, right before leaving Vegas for L.A., having prepped in advance the makings of a homemade genoise (2 layers) for my honey-man's traditional Black Forest birthday cake, I stopped by a local liquor store, so as to not repeat last year's birthday nightmare search for kirsch (cherry brandy). This time, I even called the liquor store in advance to confirm first that they had kirsch in stock. So, on my way out of town, kitty-boys loaded, car all packed, plus two Diet Rock Stars chilled and ready for the road, I stopped at the liquor store for kirsch. I ran in, they had known I was coming, gave me my kirsch (their one and only bottle in stock), which I paid for with cash (a very rare thing, me having any cash), and I was so preoccupied with the handling of my change, I ran out the door without THE KIRSCH! And I didn't have a clue until it was time to construct the cake and um, hello? No kirsch?!? What the **** happened to the kirsch?!? I ransacked my car, all my bags, and searched over the entire apartment, all at least twice over and still no kirsch. Finally, I gave in and called my honey-man to report I had somehow lost the kirsch. My honey-man asked me if I remembered what they'd given me the kirsch in... "It was in a white plastic bag." Before hanging up, I told him I had no idea where it went, that I'd look around one final last time, that I felt like a total goon, etc., and with a voice laden with sympathy, he sweetly insisted that it was okay to have another kirsch-less birthday cake, that it'd be perfectly good without the kirsch. [BACKGROUND: I never found the damn kirsch last year, which is why I thought I'd be smart this time around and locate some in Vegas first before ever leaving for L.A..] Once off the phone, I was resolved to locate some kirsch in L.A., hell or high water and then? And then I realized I had NO MEMORY of my ever grabbing any white plastic bag, nor did I have any memory of ever placing a white plastic bag of any kind anywhere in my car. Before conducting an online search for local L.A. area liquor stores that carry kirsch in stock, I checked my cell phone's 'dialed numbers' and gave the Vegas liquor store a call... "Um, hello. Earlier today, I had come to your store to buy some kirsch and beforehand, I had called..." They immediately remembered me and told me how two of them had run out the door after me, but I had already taken off, never looking back. Yeah, to say I've been slightly scattered lately? Um, yeeaah. I wish I had called the store first thing - I wouldn't have felt even half as crazy as I had searching the car, my bags and my honey-man's apartment 100 times over... When I returned to Vegas, I went back to the store to claim my kirsch. We have A LOT of kirsch now - can anyone recommend any recipes using kirsch?

P.S. I had to call 5 L.A. liquor stores before I found any one with kirsch!

4 comments:

Kerri Anne said...

I can honestly say I've never heard of "kirsch" until this post. But it's got quite the catchy name.

Unknown said...

If you ever figure out what that kind of forgetful phenomena is, please let me know. I seem to have caught that, too.

Amy said...

OH the kirsch madness. Might be better next year to just brew your own.

Amy said...

Well, since you have so much, I guess you won't need to though. You will have that kirsch for fifteen years, I tell you.