Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Amber Ellen Ward Jacobson

One month has passed since Amber died. I keep reliving the feelings of losing my mother and my father's own loss, and consequently, my heart aches for my cousin, Trevor, and his immediate family and how they all must feel.

Not living in Salt Lake nor near that area, I feel so strange about the last month. If I had not been there at the mortuary for dressing Amber, and Brianna doing Amber's hair, and had I not gone to the funeral, the reality of Amber's death would be unfathomable. And even then, I half expect to hear from her on the phone any day now, asking me how I'm feeling, spouting off about which pregnancy books I just have to read and how much she knows I'll love them. Her enthusiasm for motherhood was boundless!

These 'Amber' bags were the creation of my cousin, Annie, who is actually from my father's side of my family. Annie had met Amber a year before I'd thought to introduce the two to one another. These incredible bags designed and organized by Annie contained all sorts of things: Beeswax soap and baby washcloths donated by a located pharmacy, chocolate bars, craft kits, a flip book with 'how to bond with your newborn' info, a card listing ideas for local play activities, some of them had books on depression and mental illness, and there were pages included listing information and resources for postpartum and general depression and Amber's story. The bags were given out after Amber's funeral and the luncheon preceding the family's drive to Bloomington, ID, for the burial service held in Bear Lake. Annie and her collaborating friends, who I met the night before the funeral, they all did a fantastic job pouring their love and their desire to help into these bags. Your efforts made a great difference, and my family was extremely touched and most grateful! I'm 100% certain Amber would have been pleased.

One of the display tables...
(click image to enlarge)
I know that as time continues to pass, if one keeps looking forward, life finds you and brings you along. I miss her though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, sweetie. I just want you to know, I've read all these posts about Amber. I haven't commented much, because I don't know what to say. I am profoundly sad for what has happened. And I'm happy beyond words for what's to come in just a few months.
The Amber bags are a lovely idea.

mrtl said...

It's been too long since I checked in.

Such joy and such sorrow. Congratulations and sympathy to you.

I'm so sorry to hear about Amber.

Anonymous said...

Hi Annejelynn... I am Angelyn. I believe I live in Amber's home in Sugarhouse, Ut. I would love to know more about her. It this sounds strange but we are never lost. Please respond or text 8015290812.