Monday, April 11, 2005

Top 5 Faves Morphs into an Enormous Listing

My dear popa-sahn was here in town for business last week and we had dinner together at Il Fornaio. Yum. For some casual dinner convo, I asked him what his top 5 favorite restaurants are... My father knows food. He travels all over and it's his business, in a round about way, to know good food. My question led us into a smooth volley back and forth, and his top 5 grew into a long listing of our food and restaurant favorities. We enjoy food way, way, way too much to limit ourselves to a mere five faves...

In no particular order, here are just a few of my 'favorites' ~ and they really are some of my ultimate favorites:

Hires in Salt Lake City, UT - favorite drive-in hamburger joint
[although I always get the very same thing I did when 3 years old; grilled cheese (hold pickle spear please) w/ onion rings and a frosty mug of root beer - n' please DO NOT forget the 'special sauce']
Market Street Grill and/or 'the Broiler' in SLC, UT
- favorite clam chowder
Happy Chef in Cedar Rapids, IA
- favorite french silk pie
Sarabeth's in NYC -
best breakfast (they even have "Angeline's Hot Cocoa")
The Original Uno's in Chicago, IL
- absolute favorite deep dish pizza
The Little Buddha at the Palms in LV
- favoritie sushi bar +awesome atmosphere
Cafe Lago at Caesars Palace in LV
- favorite Sunday brunch
Capriotti's, all over Vegas
- favorite sandwich shop, droolin' over the "Capistrami"
Zio Johnos in Cedar Rapids, IA
- out of this world garlic bread!
P.F. Changs anywhere
- favorite chinese, always consistent
Benihana's anywhere
- favorite Japanese cusine
Poquito Mas anywhere in LA
- favorite taco shop
Ben & Jerry's anywhere
- favorite ice cream shop
Memphis BBQ in LV
- favorite barbeque -love the BBQ nachos!
Fatburger anywhere - best real ice cream milkshakes
Mortons anywhere
- best steak I've ever had
Cozymel's anywhere
- best margaritas and I love the 'flaming cheese'
Lotus of Siam in LV
- favorite Thai food: mmmm, coconut ice cream over sticky rice
Donut Shop (don't know its name!), Corner of 3rd St & Cochran Ave. in LA - best croissants; buttery, flakey, the size of my head!- and their donuts? Krispy Kreme, eat your heart out.
Il Fornaio anywhere
- favorite italian joint
Michael's Frozen Custard in Madison, WI
- best frozen custard ever!
Roadrunner Cafe in Henderson, NV - best cheesesteak sandwiches -ooey gooey!

That's just a glimpse...the complete list would be enormous.
As for my father, he was naming off places in London and Rome.
Lucky bastard!

3 comments:

Susie said...

Well, that just made me hungry.

Spurious Nurse said...

Poquito Mas is pretty good. So's Chipotle...mmmm....Mexican food.

Katie said...

I'm hungry now, too, and I just ate. My sister used to be a chef at PF Chang's here in Houston, and they have the BEST lettuce wraps!