Monday, April 11, 2005

"Sin City" is DREADFUL

Went to see the movie Sin City last night w/ my beau - it was a severe disappointment. We both declared the 'total waste of our time' as the worst 'big box office' movie we have ever seen. We hated it. Let me rephrase that; we really HATED it.

My take on Adult Comic Books: First of all, I do not get comic books, especially those written for adults. LAME and even more so, completely LAME! Maybe there are some good ones out there, somewhere (and I'm not interested in discovering them - thank you, but no), but I find them to be generally mindless, 'relentlessly violent,' plagued with lousy dead-pan line deliveries, which stream thoughts of 'consciousness' revealing nothing more than the plain obvious, and all women are depicted with either huge, unnatural curves or heinous features, all equally stupid and always scantily clad. This movie was made as a cinematic adaptation of Frank Miller's comics. It was done well, technically, true to his and that of general comic book stylings - but should it have been made at all? Maybe I sound a tad bit dramatic here, but man, it was disgusting. And I still feel ill from its affects - Both of us do.

I won't go into any detail as to what happened in the movie. Sufficeth to say it was awful. We rolled our eyes together until they about fell out of our heads. We at times held our heads down, we turned into one another's shoulder to shield our eyes, we repeatedly supressed strong gag reflexes, we often laughed in shock at how purely awful and STUPID the whole thing was, and we often gave one another other deeply pained, apologetic looks throughout the movie's duration...
And we will admit that although a truly deplorable creation, as we looked at one another often during the movie - from it's very beginning scene - with that knowing look,"
We should leave," we stayed anyhow, hoping we'd get something out of our $18.00 spent. We could have and should have left within the first 5-10 minutes.

We should have first perused the several various movie reviews since its opening. Although many glorify the feature as a stunning visual - horrifying is more like it - the general message is still quite transparent and it falls along these lines:
the movie is a brutal assault upon one's sensitivities. The only thing that could have made the experience worse... no, wait, I ain't gunna go THERE. The movie was bad enough. No need to speculate as to how else it could have sucked more than it already did.

The worst thing to happen actually came after the movie's end, as we were walking out the theater. As we were leaving,
verbally apologizing to one another for having not walked out of the movie when it had first begun, muttering to one another about our shared complaints re: the film... this guy comes breezing past us from behind, with a pudgy, smiling face. He turns around to face a woman following him, presumably his girlfriend/wife, and he declares with joyous enthusiasm, "That was the best movie ever." Honestly, at hearing this and witnessing the sheer glee upon this guy's face, I wanted to burst into tears.

The celebration and acceptance of a film like this makes me fear for myself and my unborn children.

3 comments:

Amy said...

yeah i saw it too, i didn't find it as upsetting, maybe because I was kind of tired and actually had a nap somewhere from the near middle to past the middle. I just kind of went with the highly stylized format and enjoyed that somewhat. But there were some totally disgusting parts, it's true.
It was not worth 18 bucks, that is fo sho.

Susie said...

I'm surprised, I had heard such good things. I like Benicio Del Toro, and Britney Murphy. I hate gross, gratuitous violence, though, and that sounds like what it is, huh? Rats.

The King of Kerwood said...

I am waiting for the film to make to the second run theatres. Besides, Frank Miller wrote Robocop 2 and Robocop 3. Yeah.