Wednesday, April 27, 2005

How Humbling

I don't know how this is calculated or if there's any validity to it, but to think there's any truth to it at all? - what a reality check.
How can I be in the top 6% ?!?

I've been humbled.


How rich are you? >>


I'm loaded.
It's official.
I'm the 277,391,305 richest person on earth!


Man - I had written stuff below this and come to check...it didn't post!?!

Lemme' try this again: I was saying....
Don't get me wrong here - this isn't the first time I've ever tried to contemplate the incomprehensible numbers of millions of destitute people in the world. As a little girl, I remember those shown-at-midnight (I was a night owl and would sneak out of bed to watch cable in the basement) "sponsor a child" features on TV with Sally Struthers from "All in the Family" (I knew who she was then because my mother loved that show, if my memory serves). Those featurettes made me cry, and they still do today.

When my mother would tell me,"Eat your dinner. There are starving children in China," I took her very, very seriously. I cleaned my plate -she wouldn't let me leave the table unless I had done so! - except various steamed vegetables -that woman fed me truckloads of asparagus!?! remarkably, I love it now- were often stuffed down the heating vent in the kitchen nook when mummie wasn't looking.
Only a couple years ago, did I realize that to remain a devoted member of the "Clean Plate Club," I can simply bring home what I-SHOULD-NOT-EAT-ALL-OF-RIGHT-THEN-AND-THERE in the form of leftovers in a lovingly packed doggie bag. Unlike my undergrad days, when eating out was reserved for trips, holidays and visits home to parents or relatives, I get the chance to eat out with some regularity. I DO NOT NEED to eat restaurant size portions...so I bring it home now. Not long ago, my devotion to the Clean Plate Club when eating out was, um, plumpin' me up.

I do not like to waste food or water. When I brush my teeth, I don't turn the water on until it's time for the final rinse. And I feel guilty when I run the bathtub water, waiting for the temperature to warm up before showering.

Not including any childhood or adolescent years spent at home living with my parents before June 1993:
Between 1995 and mid-1999, I considered myself an active member of the Mormon Church. I used to pay 10% of my GROSS income on a regular, religious (no pun intended) basis. Doing so, I felt at the time that I was making a substantial monetary contribution towards the assistance of my fellow men (no sexual bias intended w/ the use of that expression). Now, having not paid any tithing in years, I try to donate or participate when possible in any reputable fundraising event that comes my way... I'm not rich by any means, but I consider myself fortunate and truly grateful for what I do have, and knowing that I have more than some will ever have in their lifetime, I feel I must try to help somehow even if it's only a little bit.

EVERY LITTLE BIT OF ASSISTANCE OFFERED COUNTS!

Must add one more thing to clarify... Sadly, I am quite aware of those living in poverty right here in the good ol' U.S.A.

My beau's ever-sweet 6 yr old angel boy-O always asks if and how we can help the homeless. Living in L.A., on a daily basis -EVERDAY he's taken to school- this lil' 6 yr old sees the homeless living literally around us. And it breaks his precious heart and it breaks mine too. In the past, I've spent holidays serving food to the homeless -and should do it more often, on a more regular basis- and I give bags and bags of clothing and home items to shelters and goodwill centers each year. It's hard to feel it makes a difference - like I can never give enough.

But I try.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dad used to work for the World Health Organization, so I got to see some pretty desperate parts of the world - you would have to see it to truly be able to appreciate what you have in life...

Bear in mind that this little survey merely takes into account your annual salary, and does not figure in investments savings, assets, liabilites and debts. So I'm sure the accuracy is off. However, bearing in mind that most of the world's population is in Asia and Africa, mostly in developing, and underdeveloped nations - its not really far off from the truth!

Nicely done!

Cheers!

:)

Joseph said...

sadly, you don't have to go to a third world country to see some of the poverty, we have some of that here too, you just don't see it. Granted, it's not like other places, just saying.

Susie said...

Hi, sweetie. I was really struck by this, too, and lifted it from Shiz. I may still use it, and credit both you and her. Good stuff.