Friday, April 29, 2005

Gotta Be Grateful

Some good reasons (pretty damn important ones at that) tah thank my oh-so lucky stars (aka 'reasons I should NOT bitch or moan or whine'):

1 - my good mind and my general physical health
(PLUS health and dental insurance to help me stay in good health)

2 - my so-sweet, super yummy, terrifically tender lovin' man and his oh-so precious angel boy-O
(they're considered one whole package, hand in hand)
3 - my father - he loves me, he accepts me as I am, he supports me, worries for me, wants me to be happy and safe, and HE MAKES ME LAUGH!
4 - 2 incredible women to have 'raised' me; my mum had the first shift, with my step-mum to follow from there on out, working hard against the odds (the 'odds' would be me and the situation at the time the chain of command switched hands)
5 - 2 delightful siblings to enjoy and learn from and to have make up for the hardship I put upon my parents
6 - loving, supportive and fun relatives: grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins galore, etc.
7 - true and loyal, REAL friends and fun friends and more friends
8 - a good, stable, flexible job to FULFILL MY NEEDS and then some
9 - good people to work with and for
10 - a job that enables me to pursue an advanced degree
(M.P.A. = Masters in Public Administration - yeah, a real snore, BUT I'm good at what I do)

11 - a college education on which to base that advanced degree
12 - a roof over my head; providing me a place to live and stash all my crap and belongings; a place to rest my head at night
13 - food o'plenty (TOO much at times) to keep me well fed n' healthy
14 - plenty of clothing to keep me all covered and warm (I could dress an army!)
15 - my mobility via STAY PFT, to get me where I wanna be
16 - A fabulous roommate: she's sweet, earnest and kind, honest, trustworthy, considerate, clean and quiet and she loves my boys.

Lastly, but NOT least - my boys, Otis & Owen - from which I derive so much joy, so many giggles, so many comforting moments... AND I could go on and on, sooooo I gots reasons tah be grateful, indeed! Should be smacked upside the head straight away if and whenever I groan anything along the totally lame-O lines of "poor wittle me."

[this post was inspired by the big-hearted 'Dang Cold' - thank you!]

7 comments:

Susie said...

I just popped over here from dooce, when I saw your comment there, just to say, and I know this sounds crazy, "I love the sound of your voice." Every time I see your name on a comment, I just imagine warmth and goodwill. I love your post today. I think dang cold started something, if that's who inspired you. And he's always starting something, anyway. Blogging does tend to invite us to bitch and gripe, or at least it does me; I like to challenge myself, too, to say something else. Have a great weekend; enjoy those many blessings:)

Dang Cold.. said...

this posting is a terrific way to start a weekend.

thanks anj

dc

Anonymous said...

i love gratitude. love it.

Random and Odd said...

Fantastic!

Daly said...

Geez Annejelynn...now I feel guilty for griping about homework. I guess if I put things in perspective, it's not so bad. That's my goal then.

This piece helps reminds me to be grateful. I think I'll post my own...

I Am Thankful For...
...the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.
...the taxes I pay because it means that I'm employed.
...the clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.
...all the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech.
...the lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear.
...the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby.
...the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking.
...my shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine.
...a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.
...my huge heating bill because it means I am warm.
...weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means I have been productive.
...the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I'm alive.

Nancie J. Carmody, Family Circle Magazine, Nov. 1999

Joseph said...

isn't it great to be able to see the good in our lives so clearly? it's hard to believe that people can lose sight of these simple blessings.

Good on you for having the perspective to see it all.

Unknown said...

Annejelynn, you have much to be thankful for. Thank you for sharing that with us. I need to look more towards the sunshine, rather than the clouds...

I'm curious, what does a Public Administrator do?