Saturday, April 19, 2008

Spontaneous Flying Eruptions of Fur

I'd been watching for this, silently dreading this time to come for about a month now, and yesterday, it became absolutely clear that it's officially official: The kitties have begun their summer shedding.

I scooped up Owen yesterday morning and let him try his usual squirming, wriggling wiggles to be set free, and once I did let him go? There was a visible, billowing puff of cat hair rising up into the air, and all the white lil' cat hairs that I could see plastered to the fabric fibers of my shirt? I loudly groaned, looking upward at the ceiling, "Ohhh nooo! The summer shed has beguuuun!?!" My honey-man then grunted from the kitchen, "Yes, I know."

The "summer shed" amounts to basically twice as much cleaning to be done 'round the house:

1) Vacuuming nearly twice a week,
2) Vacuuming the furniture twice a month,
3) Dusting every week instead of every other,
4) Wiping down baseboards and the stairs woodwork twice a month,
5) Using the dust mop every week and sweeping 1-2 times a week,
6) Running all throw blankets and bedroom quilts in the dryer on 'fluff' twice a month,
7) Shaking all the rugs twice a month,
8) Wash the kitchen's table cloth weekly [SIDE NOTE: They're not allowed on the kitchen table, but they're all over it when we're not at home, as evidenced by the cat hair!]
9) Use a lint brush on all the kitchen chair cushions whenever I can remember...
10) and, I think that's it.


Yeah, just gotta do alllll the above regularly until September's end... geesh!

See, I'm one of those cat owners who doesn't want her home to look like she owns two cats. As to how realistic this expectation is? Um, "No comment" -? [Yes, I'm in total denial.] Although I am certain this doubled cleaning effort over the summers will become impossible to maintain once we have a lil' two-legged wee one to care for. The baby will just have to double as a kitty-cat come the summertime, as he/she will always be covered with kitty hair!

No comments: