Friday, August 10, 2007

"Guilty Confession #4" or "Ridiculous Confession"

Whenever I fill my gas tank, I make sure the total cost at the gas pump falls on a multiple of .05 cents or an even multiple of .10 cents. Like this morning, I paid $31.00 for a full tank, and the fill up before that was $17.85, and time before that, $22.35. I have been doing this ever since my senior year in high school, because back then, when I drove the lovely "Fudmobile" [BACKGROUND INFO: The Fudmobile had been my mother's beige, 4-door Delta 88 Oldsmobile (with a surprisingly impressive stereo system), purchased in 1986 after she'd sadly sold her sporty midnight blue Honda Prelude, when, at that time, she was being treating for what they thought was a bulging disk in her back, unable to sit comfortably in the low riding Prelude anymore, to find out several months later that she had an 8" long tumor growing in her spinal column!], I paid for gas with the a couple single $1 bills (bigger bills were kept in the bank, and no top off ever cost more than $10 back then) and lots and lots of change I always had stashed in a tin Tootsie Roll Bank I kept under the driver's seat. It was always easier to pay with coins if the total sum and change to be paid was to the nearest nickel and dime... and I never let go of the habit.

2 comments:

Daly said...

I can't help but round up at the pump either. I think because I have control over the total to the nearest nickel or dime versus accepting whatever total is displayed by the register when buying groceries, clothes or whatever.

Unknown said...

You are not alone. I try to land on an even dollar. If I can't do that, I shoot for the next quarter dollar - 25, 50 or 75 cents. I do it even when I'm going to buy a candy bar or something inside the gas station, or even if I use my credit card for the purchase.

I don't have a valid reason for doing that, though. ;)