Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Buckets 'O Chicken!

Ahhhhh.... Today is Wednesday. Bless'ed be Wednesday! This work week is half-way done. AMEN.

Yesterday was not all that bad (well, work did suck, but anyway) once a lil' visitor was brought to me in the afternoon by my sister: It was my honey-man's freakin' too cute angel boy-O!

Before I could get my 'Hi' with a hug and kiss, absolutely tickled as could be with pie-plate eyes, the angel boy-O breathlessly announced he'd just been given a new book, Eragon [presenting said book to me]...
"annnnd - and - and - [deep intake of breath] ANNND a new Gameboy game, Pokemon [the Emerald version? or something?]!!!" Lucky for me at the time, this new Gameboy game had been inadvertantly left in my sister's car. So, until we walked with her to go claim it before she had to run to work, I still had his attention, which is to say that later on, once he had the said Gameboy game? - - I totally lost him. We could have stayed several hours late in my office with tummies grumbling until it was dark out, he would not have cared one iotta.

So pre-Gameboy in my office still, he and my sister began to recount their sleepover experience at her place the night before and the day's earlier events also spent together. He had plopped down on one of my swivel office chairs and spun himself around to take in the room... His voice began to trail off and he began to smile an even bigger smile than that he'd had when he first showed up. "Hey, I remember then! OH and I remember that day!" I think he was quite surprised and very pleased to discover 7 photos of himself in frames about my office...

Moreover, he was further dumbfounded whenever people wandering by would pop in and tell him 'Hi' and call him by name. He'd look at me quickly and in as discrete a manner as one could ever muster, he'd quietly whisper, "Do I know him/her?"

One woman from Montreal really threw him off, waltzing right in, hugging him fiercely, and telling him, "You're half Canadian, yes?" and how much she thinks his father is such a handsome sweetheart (I concur!), and "My, you're such a gorgeous boy" (I concur!), and Canada this and Canada that. And then? She asked him if he knew his French and without pause, she began to rattle off a dozen different questions in French, no less. He was utterly baffled and adorably so.

In retelling his day spent with my sister, my favorite part was hearing about their lunch. My sister had told him she'd take him anywhere in Vegas... ANYWHERE! And there's a lot of different places a kid can go for lunch in Las Vegas! He'd been given a listing of choices from casual to grandiose. And where did he want to go?

My sister then shared the following dialog:

Him: Um, let's, um - I want to go toooo, um... [long pause] ...the place where they have those big, red buckets of chicken!?

Her: [Quickly rethinking her list and at the same time realizing what he meant] You mean KFC?!?

Him: YES! Yes, KFC, PLEASE! I've never been there!

What a neglected child, right?... Yeah, his parents actually care about what he eats... poor thing.


The angel boy-O turned to me and gave me this guilty little grin, immediately followed by an explosion of chatter, how they both had 'laptop' kids meals and he loved the potatoes and he ate them all - and - and - and...

And I could have smothered him with butter, BBQ sauce and honey and eaten him whole!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hee hee... this whole post just made me smile real big.

Yay for you! I'm glad he arrived safely.