Monday, March 05, 2007

'God Only Knows'... what the Beach Boys Mean to Me

Very last minute this past Saturday, I was graced with 3 tickets to the Beach Boys concert at the Luxor. Knowing they would thoroughly appreciate the experience (and not mock me for my love of the Beach Boys!), I asked my aunt Radeane and uncle Jim to come along - - and we had soooo much fun! Ya know, silly 'dancing and singing and giggling' kind of fun!

Great BB Concert Moments of Personal Note:

1) During 'Surfer Girl,' hundreds of audience members produced lit cell phone LCDs, waving them high, back and forth above their heads, instead of lit cigarette lighters. I was laughing my head off at this cop-out, yet creative baby boomer approach - - and yet produced my own cell phone in kind!

2) I happily cried big fat tears during 'God Only Knows;' one of my very favorite BB songs written by Brian Wilson.

3) The second time I called my father was for 'Good Vibrations' (there was also a later third and a fourth call), and he stayed on the phone to listen to the entire song, plus one = over 6 minutes. [SEMI-RELATED TANGENT: Other concerts during which I've called my father on my cell phone in order 'to share' my glee: Bjorn Again, Paul McCartney, Journey and I'm sure there's others I just can't recall right now
. END OF TANGENT]

WHY I LOVE THE BEACH BOYS: #1) The Beach Boys = a gazillion childhood memories involving both of my parents, several summers on Bear Lake in Idaho, several aunts and uncles, and several Jacobson cousins (one of which I also called on my cell during the concert); #2) When I was in 5th grade, I sang in a BB-themed choral concert, and I knew all the lyrics before our rehearsals began; #3) For 'California Girls,' sung by the 6th grade boys, I walked across the stage as the 'Northern Girl'; #4) I sooo love Beach Boy harmonies; #5) I appreciate their generally 'happy-go-lucky' music; and lastly, but not least, #6) I'm a BIG, FAT SAP!

1 comment:

Kati said...

One more reason why you rock! My favorite Beach Boys memory, dancing to "Fun, Fun, Fun" with my mummy in the middle of winter!