Friday, January 12, 2007

Trapped in the Amber of the Moment

My old boss came by my office today, and having not yet heard that I'm losing my assistant in a couple weeks, he asked me why I only answered that I was doing just 'okay.' I told him the news and he stepped backward and began to tip from his heels, as if he were falling over...

"What are you going to do now? How can you leave now?
You won't leave us now, will you? "

Without explaining away, as to not burst into blubbering tears, I told him no, not right now and repeatedly shrugged my shoulders.

Then, in an effort to make me laugh and lighten the day for me [SIDE NOTE: We both love quotes - - and he loves it that I love the ones that he can recall], he spoke the words of Kurt Vonnegut (who I also love - I read everything of his that I could while I was in H.S.):


"Things are going to get worse
and worse
and never better again."

Yeah... um, not exactly what I was looking for, BUHHT it helps keep things in perspective, eh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, big hugs. That quote sort of made me giggle. Vonnegut was quite an interesting fellow. :)

Unknown said...

Big big hugs, darlin...

Random and Odd said...

Baby steps, Dr. Marvin. Baby steps!

Anonymous said...

I like this Vonnegut quote better:
“History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again.”

Or this one:
"It is the past, not the future, which scares the heck out of me."