Saturday, January 20, 2007

The NEW Plan ~ Putting My Moolah to Work

Seeing that I'm stuck in Vegas for the next few months, having to hold down the fort at work, unable to take much time off to visit L.A. or anywhere (No, this is NOT another total downer of a post like the last couple or so, I promise!), I've decided to seek a part-time job. Not only will I make some extra dough, it will keep my evenings occupied, plus, there's a couple ulterior motives here...

Already today, I applied for something kind of unexpectedly... I was walking towards the store front and their "Now Hiring" sign looked as though it were neon and flashing, just for my approach. So, in my jeans and a Pink Floyd T-shirt, I went inside and filled out an application, not expecting any kind of interview. [SEMI-RELATED TANGENT:
At the library today, I had 4 middle-aged men compliment my T-shirt - and a guy at the car wash too!]. Even still, despite my attire, upon handing over my app, right then and there, the interview process began. Nonetheless, I progressed through 3 interview stages, in my finest way-too-casual duds. The shift manager for the position was not present to confirm, but I was told, if my available hours prove sufficient, I'll be starting next week! And oh boy, goody-goody ~ I'll get to take a drug test on Monday ~ woo-hoo! Haven't had one of those since 2000!

Ulterior Motive #1: The place I chose to apply to, not only do I love them, I will greatly enjoy the employee discount! But furthermore, and most importantly, they're located EVERYWHERE in the U.S., and this could provide me possible employment ANYWHERE in the U.S., via a job transfer... so no matter what, leaving my main job here in L.V., for no new main job in L.A., I'd still have a job.

Ulterior Motive #2: I figure that if I work an average of 20 extra hrs/wk, beyond my current full-time job, I'll make at least an extra $800 month in savings. This means that over the next next 4 months or so, I can beef up my cash savings by at least an extra $5000, so that I'll have just a bit more for (...a growing in intensity drum roll please...) a down on a house!

Yup. It's time to buy, whether I were to stay in Vegas or not. Once I leave, we'll just rent it out to pay the mortgage, and keep the place as an investment until the Vegas market bounces back in 2010 or whenever. And as for property management, I have plenty of property management friends in town, plus my sister, 2 uncles and an aunt, who could all help keep an eye on the place for us.

We're hoping to buy something in either the east or south areas of the valley, wanting a minimum of 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, absolutely no less than 1,500 sq. ft, somewhere in the $250,000 price range or less. With 10% down, I'm aiming for a mortgage around $1,300/month.

This new and improved plan improves our future financial outlook considerably ~
And it will certainly give me a 'project' to focus my energy upon in the time being, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! news.

And I know how you feel on the job searching. I've been at it for a few weeks now. Not so fun. At all.

(Also: hi! : ) )

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you that you found something you can do that will feel positive and like you are taking some action.

Good for you. Make a promise to yourself - that this is all good/cake/etc and don't let it become another source of worry.

:)