Tuesday, May 17, 2005

M.P.A. aka Voluntary Mind Torture

Here's the deal: I'm a grad student in a Public Adminstration Masters program, working full-time at my regular dayjob and going to school full-time in the evenings to earn my M.P.A. (Masters in Public Administration).
What does this mean? - 1. I'm a glutton for punishment; 2. I have a lot of stuff to do (mild understatement); 3. I voluntarily subject myself to hours of painfully boring and excruciating class instruction each week. #2 and #3 are both supportive statements of #1.

What does one do with an MPA? - ya work for a public sector entity = state and/or federal govt. orgs and depts, country and city entities, non-profit agencies...Presently, I work for the state and lemme' tell ya, what they say about govt. jobs is true:

The Good: Job Security & Bennies galore!
Flexibility to handle personal emergencies w/o risking your job
Practically guaranteed job security (ya gotta REALLY suck to get fired!)
3 wks annual leave/year - that's 120 hours of time off per year!?! hell yeah!
3 wks sick-leave/year
11 paid holidays!!! - this alone is fabulous!
Discounts for public ticketed events
Tuition remission for up to 12 credits/year
Health and dental insurance offered at low cost
Almost guaranteed merit increases
Cost of living increases given every 2-3 yrs
Generally stable retirement program

The Bad: Bureacracy! Bureacracy! and more Bureacracy!
LOW productivity!!! Takes so damn long to get things done! and the right way!
Almost impossible to get rid of lousy employees
High rate of absenteeism
Merit increases expected and given to those who DO NOT DESERVE them
Good employees are grossly underpaid compared to private sector pay rates
Not a high yield retirement program (if ya ask me, it's better than nuthin'!)


Why do I wanna work in the public sector at all? 1. I'm good at managing govt. money and organizing policy, resources and people, as my personnel mgmt. skills are improve. 2. I am NOT a career girl and have never wanted to be one - I simply want a secure job that grants me the flexibility and freedom to enjoy what I really love; time w/ my family and friends. 3. As I hope to have a family, govt. jobs of the kind I'd pursue are typically known to be kind to mothers.
I had originally landed the job I now have, hoping it would facilitate my caring for a family...but I had no family of my own at the time. So, I finally got my butt into grad school, so that once that time does come, I'll be even more so prepared to help support and provide for my family.

So (a recap), what will an MPA mean for me? - it'll gimme' gimme' mo money! SHOW ME THE MONEY!

4 comments:

Dang Cold.. said...

Yes you are a career girl. Your career is as a public admin pro. Thats your career and I'm sure you're good at it. Just because you aren't a CEO working 85 hours a week, rocketing towards a heart attack or stroke doesn't mean you aren't a career girl. I hear you on the lack of productivity in the public sector and the bureacracy. Government tends to waste loads of money so the fact that you're good at managing it is a plus. You're probably giving that place a few improvements that it needs badly. I work in the private sector but my organization is hell bent on organizational process, structure and procedure. I've got way too much paper on my desk due to forms I need to fill out. The limitations can be frustrating but to an extent I think its necessary. Public vs private sector. Both have their pro's and cons as you've clearly stated.

Sleep well

dc

Joseph said...

Oh Hell ya! SHOW HER THE MONEY!!! They better after what you've put yourself through.

I'm thinking of going back to school with the impending merger/layoff on the horizon.

Way to hang in there. Keep up the good work.

Amy said...

Full time work and full time school- that is awesome. And, I am sure, uber-challenging. Good for you, Annejelynn. Sounds like you gotta plan. I love a person with a plan.

Elizabeth said...

Good for you for doing all of that for yourself. That is fabulous. Hats off to ya. :)