Thursday, May 12, 2005

Count the P-Funk!

As of last night @ 8:30pm, my spring semester finals came to a glorious end! and then I was off, like a red hot flash (in a white Toyota Echo) to Mandalay Bay to the House of Blues to see George Clinton and the pa-pa-pa-P-Funk!!

I think it's fair to say I had NO IDEA what was in store for me despite any previous exposure I may have experienced, but before I get into that lemme' tell ya -
I love the House of Blues!?! Not too big, not too small - has a certain feel of intimacy. It's perfect. Never there have I sat on my keister at any point, not ever! cuz I'm always way too busy DANCIN'!!! (more exclamations points) !!! I absolutely love they're hardwood floors - not that their gorgeous or anything like that. They're quite ugly, really - BUUHHT - no floor takes a good foot stomping quite like hardwood! There's also a totally righteous (yes, I said RIGHTEOUS!) stage curtain made like a patchwork quilt...rich velvets, brocade, and velour. The visual displays for one's eye to behold; you're surrounded by artwork! oh! and the chandelier looks like a big fat HUMUNGOUS GLOWING JELLY FISH!!! ~way totally trippy to stand just below it and stare up into it's center (and no, I wasn't 'on' anything at the time). You can see a pic if ya check out the LV HOB "Slideshow Tour" on their website! do it!

So, gettin' down to the P-Funk here, finally. um, how does one say this? They were fabulous? - yes, FAH-BOO-LUS! They played for over 3 hours...and yes, that's not one, not two, but THREE HOURS! over 3 HOURS of pure funk!?!??!! one jam went on for 20 minutes alone!?! I think if they'd had it their way, they would have played for another hour.

What's it take to have yourself a Funkadelic Parliment?
juhsst how many P-Funk players are there? -
well, I can tell ya cuz I was the big NERD that stopped moving just long enough to perform a solid body count: 4 keyboardists, 4 percussionists, 3 bass players, 4 guitarists, 5 female vocalists, and at least 6 male vocalists at any one time (and those 6 did nothing but sing - no other double duty purpose involved) and sometimes there were up to NINE male vocalists on the stage!
There were also 4 grand-children involved and numerous significant others wandering on and off the stage throughout the show...which was over 3 hours long!

At one point there were 25 people jammin' away on the stage!
and all that energy in that room? it was awesome! And so another semester has come to an end and a spectacular one at that! And soon I'll be back in school for the summer term just NEXT WEEK! *sigh*

4 comments:

Closet Metro said...

I am so glad you got to go. What a great way to celebrate the end of the semester!

Torrie said...

Welcome back!

Elizabeth said...

So glad you enjoyed yourself. You so deserve it after all that work.

Susie said...

Wow, that sounds like fun. Thanks for the description, I could almost feel it:)