Monday, August 04, 2008

Thank Heavens for Health Insurance

Last Friday, I saw my OBGYN for a colposcopy. No shaving of the cervix was done at that time - - instead, my OB took a long look via the "ZoomScope" and just a shallow surface biopsy was taken and some blood work to check my HCG hormone level and my progesterone level. I have another sonogram this Thursday to check the progress of the fetus, the results of which will be discussed with my OB this coming Friday, along with the pathology report for the biopsy taken and the blood work done. Soooo, we don't know anything more than we did last Wednesday. I did begin spotting yesterday and today though. I feel icky... and really tired and a bit nervous. It could just be remnant bleeding from the biopsy though - - I hope!

Oh yeah, and the doc also said I'm anemic = this is not a surprise. I've had chronic issues with anemia and low B-vitamin levels since I was a teen. Sooo, I'm taking an iron supplement now, along with my prenatal vitamin, a B-complex and an extra calcium supplement. Two weeks ago, my prenatal vitamin and the smells of coffee and onions were provoking a lot of nausea, but I haven't felt nauseous at all since I left the hospital! I said something to my OB about this last Wednesday and he laughed at me, "Are you complaining?"

Speaking of my hospital stay, we receiving my billing statement in the mail: $25,005 smackeroos!

$331 for diagnostic radiology; $867 for an ultrasound; $2,128 for my time in the ER; $5,620 for pharmaceuticals; $7,920 for 6-days' stay in a private hospital room (I spent my 1st night in the ER and my first day in a 'day room' at the end of the hospital floor's east hallway); and $8,139 for clinical laboratory work

And all I can really say about all that is I AM SO FREAKIN' GRATEFUL TO HAVE A GOOD JOB THAT PROVIDES ME MORE THAN ADEQUATE HEALTH INSURANCE!

P.S. Here's something semi-amusing/maddening though: My entire hospital bill is itemized to the finest detail. I find it fascinating to discover I was charged $4 for each and every dose of Tylenol given to me. Now, I was given Tylenol sixteen times = that's $64 for Tylenol?!?

No comments: