Monday, May 26, 2008

In the Throes of Domestic Bliss

Another long and rambling post: We had people asking last week and since the weekend hit, what our plans were for the Memorial weekend. Most were surprised we were even around, expecting us to leave town, but instead, we remained home for 3 days of "domestic bliss," as my honey-man put it to whomever asked him, while I just told people we were going to stay home and clean the garage. Yup, we basically had a laundry list of things-to-do 'round the house, but our primary mission for the holiday: Organize the garage!

Before all the productive domesticity was to begin, however, Friday night was nothing but leisurely, non-productive time spent together: We went for a two-hour long walk around our neighborhood, and um, I can't remember anything else after that... we went to sleep around 1:30 am.

But yes, on Saturday, we spent 7 hours rearranging everything in our garage, well enough to not only park the Matrix back inside the garage for the first time since Christmas (Hallelujah!), but to also fill the Matrix with stuff, all of intended for Goodwill! We also determined we have three major furniture items to post for sale on Craigslist this week. Once the garage was deemed sufficiently reorganized, we cuddled on the couch with the kitties and
split a delicious bottle of raspberry lambic while we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark (on laser disc!) in preparation for the new Indy Jones flick we'll see later this week.

Here's the absolutely ridiculous 'before' picture of our garage (ridiculous and embarrassing!). There's unfortunately no 'after' shot to share just yet. Yer just gunna have to believe me that it's now much improved.Owen, stretched along my legs while we watched Raiders...
On Sunday, just like Saturday, 'we' slept in as planned, although I really woke at 6 am and fought to stay asleep over the following 2 hours, waking every 20 minutes for 5-10 minutes before dozing off to only wake again, sneaking out of bed around 8 am, waiting to make breakfast until my sweetly snoring, exhausted honey-man would finally rise around 9:30 am... BACKGROUND: I have a tendency to wake real early but just remain in bed, lying there half awake, going in and out of consciousness for at least a half hour to an hour, and during these times, I may blurt my thoughts aloud in short, truncated statements or in some question form. My honey-man is ridiculously patient with me when I do this (although not quite so much when I do the very same thing at bedtime), but he warned me Friday night to NOT do this over our holiday weekend at home = Hell or high water, he was going to sleep in, dammit! Me, however, I guess I was too jazzed to stay in bed. Anticipating all we had planned, it was hard to lay there unless I could rouse my honey-man for some good spooning. I do love me some guhoood spoonage.

Anyhow, Sunday morning, we had a full breakfast together at home. Thereafter, we both dilly-dallied with strange and rare spring cleaning tasks until we left for a BBQ at 1:30pm, and there we stayed until 6pm. Upon leaving the party, we were to return home to hang some frames up the stairway walls and hang some new curtains in our front room, but we went out to see Iron Man instead. BACKGROUND: We've lived in our home for a year now and have done so without any window coverings of any kind in our front room. These 'new curtains' we were to hang, we've actually had them for 9 months now, both of us stalling/refusing to hang them because we prefer the pure, bright, but gentle light from our northern windows, although we both know we should put something up for greater privacy at night...

This morning, we BOTH slept in (and it was NOT another repeat of either Saturday or Sunday morning for me - - thank goodness!), and I made fresh banana whole-grain pancakes for breakfast. [SEMI-RELATED TANGENT/RECOMMENDATION: Although delicious and uber-filling (couldn't eat more than two), it's best to let banana pancakes cool for at least five full minutes, as the bananas can reach 'molten'-like temperatures. I had somehow forgotten this until AFTER my first bite. END OF TANGENT.] While Once and Harry Potter's Order of the Phoenix each played through twice throughout the day, my honey-man ironed all his shirts and put away all of yesterday's five loads of folded laundry, and we ironed and rehung our freshly washed kitchen and bathroom curtains, and I dinked with this and that, reframed a picture or two, vacuumed the house and shook all the rugs, while my honey-man installed a ceiling fan in our bedroom. And then?

Owen, atop our 5 loads of unfolded laundry...
After a brief perusal of a few online listings, we ventured out to investigate Memorial Day furniture sales. By 8:30pm tonight, we became the proud soon-to-be owners of a custom sofa bed sectional set to be made and delivered to us in less than 3 weeks' time, and thus, we have new found incentive to put up those front room curtains, so at least our overnight guests can have THEIR privacy if and whenever they may stay in our home!!!

P.S. We'll actually have both Wendy and her lovin'-man here for a visit the last weekend of June for the Weird Al Yankovic concert, so that's our deadline for the hanging of those blasted front room curtains! We'll see how long we put it off until it absolutely has to happen!

No comments: