Thursday, June 07, 2007

Needs vs. Wants

A strange thing has happened...

For the first time, we move into a home we own (or well, CORRECTION: a home the bank owns) and we have MORE THAN ENOUGH stuff in it already, but suddenly, there's all these things we didn't have, that we've never ever needed before, that we've happily lived without for years and years, but now? - now we gotta have 'em!?! Since moving in and beginning the process of setting up house, a ridiculously loooong list has emerged; it's a list of items we want for our new home, some that we've [I've] already purchased since moving in and other items we still plan to eventually purchase [SIDE NOTE: The following is more like a record for me than anything else - - oh, except it's shameful too - - like a nice reality check from hell as to how much money one can blow on WHATEVER when you buy a home!?!]:

The Powder Room (my first "It's all Done!" room): Blue lidded trash can, White toilet seat cover, Square blue and green braided rug, White tumbler, White soap dish, Blue plunger (not that it being blue was at all important in my purchase decision) with white cover...

The Angel Boy-O's Bathroom (my 2nd "It's all Done!" room): Green lidded trash can, Striped bathroom rug for tub, Green bathroom rug for sink, Mr. Bubble (a must!), Watermelon no-tears no-tangles shampoo, Johnson & Johnson Baby Body Wash, Small shower caddy, Vinyl shower curtain (and the kitties have already chewed holes into it, where the weights are enclosed in the vinyl), Decorative metal curtain rings, One white bracket shelf for CD stereo...

The Angel Boy-O's Bedroom (nothing done yet, waiting for his arrival THIS SATURDAY!):
PAINT AND MORE PAINT! Blue! Kelly green! Orange! and Purple!
3 red IKEA Lack shelves
Pair of Madras curtains (to be sewn by me)
Curtain rod (actually, I did go ahead and buy that already!)
Custom-sized pull-down, black-out window shade (whatever those are called!)

Master Bathroom: Green bathroom runner rug, Green bathroom shower rug, Cream potty room rug, Cream toilet seat cover, Peachy metal magazine rack (for mah honey-man), Green metal above-toilet storage rack, Small curtain rod, One cream curtain, Pair of green sheer drapes, 6 Red brick bath towels,
2 Red brick hand towels, 4 Soft red hand towels, 6 Red brick washcloths, Dark, lidden basket to hide from sight my misc. make-up I have that I never use, Wall-mounted make-up mirror (all my house-sitting has spoiled me! I wanted one of my own, Dianne!), a 2nd wall loop for my hand towels (the last two items, I haven't hung yet, so this room ain't "It's all Done" just yet)...

Master Bedroom: Pair of green panel drapes, Pair of long cream sheer drapes, Pair of camel sheer drapes, Pair of brass leaf pull-backs, Brass leaf curtain rod, Pair of curtain rods, 2 spiral light bulbs, an additional 'tall hamper' for the closet

The Kitchen: 2 sets of yellow tiered cafe curtains, Pair of curtain rods, Fabric to re-cover kitchen chairs, Poppy design bowl, platter and small serving dish, 3 decorative metal hanging plate racks, Pair of wooden plate stands, Pair of metal plate stands, Cup hanging hooks, 4 'helper' pantry shelves, Dust mop, Red silicon sink mat, Silicon sink divider, Dishwasher detergent, Clorox Sanitizing Spray

Yet to be purchased: 2-3 barstools, Refinish kitchen table and chairs, New chair padding so I can re-cover the kitchen chairs

The Living Room: has been bought yet, but a BIG 'wish list' item for my honey-man = a 42" flat screen wall-mounted HDTV... on the list of our priorities, from A to Z, this is a 'Z' item.

Yet to be purchased: Window coverings in general - - we have none and have no clue what kind we want, Large basket for blankets, a 2nd cracked glass touch lamp to replace the one I broke last year when I moved out of my apartment.

The Miscellaneous: Laundry drying rack (like the one my sister has, that I'd been coveting for months), Back-of-Door canvas shoe rack, Carbon monoxide detector...

The Backyard: We haven't bought anything yet, except a really mean lookin', totally kick-butt grill cleaning metal bristle-brushy thingy...

Yet to be purchased: Anything green that grows in the ground!?!, One white basque (Thank you for the spelling, Kati!) climbing rose, One sterling rosebush, One yellow rosebush, One flaming peach rosebush, ummmm, anything remotely green that grows in the ground?!?
, a drip system so we can keep alive the green stuff we hope to someday plant, Copper fire bowl with stand, Curved bench that matches the fire bowl, Umbrella table with 4 chairs and an umbrella, Install pavers in the NW corner on which the aforementioned, desired umbrella table would be placed...

HELP. CAN'T STOP. HELP.

2 comments:

Kati said...

I can just picture it now! It's going to be fabulous! (Even more than it is already.)

"Basque," by the way. :)

Amy said...

Oh how I love a nice laundry drying rack.

Nice list, I want one of everything now.