Friday, February 09, 2007

Oh Where, Oh Where have all my Socks Gone?

This past Sunday, I had to unexpectedly pack a suitcase for a possible week away from work, which has, indeed, resulted in an entire week spent away from work. No, I won't go into detail as to why - just know that everything is fine. But anyhow, as I was saying, I had to pack not knowing how long I'd be gone, which brought me to a recent discovery...

MY RECENT & ANNOYING DISCOVERY: One of the things that has come to annoy me most in my semi-transient living arrangements since May of last year, first at my aunt's for 6 months and now renting a bedroom at my friend's place, is that I am losing my socks. Yes. You read that right. I'm losing socks. Forget the cramped living space, all my stuff in storage, the total lack of any kind of dresser or that my things are kept about me on the floor in Hefty trash bags... I'm upset about my socks, dammit!

For years, I've been actually quite proud of the fact that I rarely lose any of my socks. Why I've been consciously proud of this, I dunno - it just lends more to the fact that I am 'organized' on a deeply compulsive level, I guess. Last year before the spring, I had only 1 mismatched loner sock, which was fine, because old socks make good shoe polishing 'rags' and I needed another sock to add to my shoe polishing box. [I am a sick girl.]

Anyhow, last weekend, I had washed a load of darks, yet when packing to leave town, I could find only 5 complete pairs of my favorite socks and 3 mismatches... when I should have 12 COMPLETE pairs!!?! Yes, twelve pairs of my very favorite socks, that's right = 2 pairs for $3 dollars each at Kmart, no joke! Mind you, that 12 pair-count doesn't include any of my workout socks, walking socks, sneaker socks, trouser socks, bedtime socks or holiday-themed socks, nor does it include any of my all-the-same-style brown corded socks, nor my tan, floral patterned Gold Toe socks. A GUILTY CONFESSION: I have a ridiculous amount of socks. Pajamas too, although most of those were mistakenly packed in a box, now somewhere in my storage unit.

So yeah, inexplicably, I've somehow lost ELEVEN socks [The Math: 12 pairs = 24 socks, minus 13 socks (the 5 pairs I still have, minus 3 mismatches) = 11 lost socks!]. How does this kind of thing happen? BACKGROUND INFO: I wash my clothes when I have a lot of dirty laundry piled up, but not often do I ever do laundry out of any concern that if I don't, I'll have nothing to wear. And so now, ANOTHER GUILTY CONFESSION: I have far too many clothes. I admit it and will not deny it. No, I'm not a clothes horse, nor am I any kind of slave to fashion. I have soooo much clothing though, I just don't know how it accumulates = which is a lie, but anyways, sidetracking here...

Because I could only find 5 of my12 pairs of my favorite socks, I just had to hand wash my mere 5 pairs in the bathroom sink, having run out of clean socks to wear. There are now 10 individual socks hanging all over the bathroom to air dry. And I find this amusing... amusing enough that I've actually bothered to write about it on my blog. Yup, my new thing in life is to find amusement wherever possible
(this is not really a new approach; I'm easily amused in general). So yeah, I'm fairly annoyed, but also amused...

Where the hell did all my socks go?

P.S. I know, I'm a raging nerd.

5 comments:

Daly said...

I am glad to hear that everything is fine.

As for my loner socks...they have this way of mysteriously appearing, attached to my clothes after I am dressed and ready to run out the door.

So when I can't find my socks, I try on some clothes! (Meanwhile, my hubby thinks I'm indecisive, getting in and out of my clothes, but I am really trying to find socks!)

(Is that what those darn dryer sheets are for?)

Ern said...

They've gone to the big hamper in the sky.

Anonymous said...

I think they are hanging out with my MIA socks. Drinking beer and smoking illegal substances, most likely.

If I ever had matching socks, I think Chris would be concerned. ; )

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh so hard - not at you, but with you...

I've been writing down some of my quirks, thinking of writing one of those 100 things lists.

This made me smile. Hugs, and i hope you get to do something just a little bit wonderful at some point during your week away from work, my dear.

xxoo

Recovering Mormon said...

I used to have this happen with socks and underwear, and I thought I was going insane. But then I discovered my basset hound had a fetish for dirty socks and underwear. Cats do this too, apparently. Are there any animals in the house that might be 'gaslighting' you?????