Thursday, November 30, 2006

My "I Hit a Cow" Story, Part VI ~ The Latest re: Liability!

Well, this is an itty bitty bit premature to mention (way premature, honestly), BUHHHT (and as we all know, I got's me a big butt), I'm kinda just too excited to keep it in!

My auto insurance called me today, to tell me that right now,
despite Idaho's recently issued open range legislation, it looks as though the cattle rancher will be held liable for my accident, due to negligence on his part, for not keeping his fence lines managed AND the fact that this kind of thing has happened to his cattle several times, demonstrating a history of negligence.

The situation could all change though, of course, as to who's deemed liable. I'm keeping this in mind, for sure.

But right now? The possibility that this guy, and his inability to give a shit about the safety of highway travelers, will be held liable? I'm very pleased.

Either way, and even still, I'm riding high on the fact that we were all sooooo okay despite the severity of the accident, AND that I've got a new car!

UPDATE as of 1/22/07: THE COW OWNER, Dennis Hunzeker, HAS DENIED THERE WAS ANYTHING WRONG WITH HIS FENCING - Naturally, his insurance co. is now disputing liability.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad for you--thank your lucky stars that the odds may have ended in your favor.
This was in the www.ksl.com news today. It's also in the Logan Herald Journal
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=700937
It's regarding a rancher in Utah who did the same crap ---pun not intended---except a woman died from hitting one of his cows. He made a plea deal where he can't llet his cows "roam out" for 2 years. He doesnt have to pay a fine if he abides by that.
He said in the past " I get more money from people hitting my cows in insurance claims that I get from selling them at auction. I don't care that they hit them"

I don't know you, but I thank God you're alive!!!