Friday, November 03, 2006

Drivin' Again, Post-Cow Crash

Yesterday morning, my aunt Radeane offered her extra vehicle for my driving, seeing I'm without a car now. Until yesterday, I'd been bumming rides to and from work, so back behind the wheel again, once I made it to work, I was pleased with the morning's drive. It was technically fine = I made it to work. However, I was a bit paranoid throughout the entire drive, worrying that I'd either run over anyone in my blind spot or rear end someone, driving my aunt's big Ford Exploder SUV - - whoops, I mean Ford Explorer.

Driving home in the dark last night, I had NPR on the radio as I made my entrance onto the freeway. As I merged left from the on ramp to join the existing traffic, my heart began to race a bit. Telling myself that everything was juhhhst fine, trying to focus on the NPR after-work broadcast, nonetheless, I began to sweat. I knew what was happening and told myself, "There are no cows in Vegas, you silly. Relax." Regardless of sound reasoning and solid logic, my hands began to shake, and so I moved from the center hwy lane, back into the far right lane. I glanced down at the speedometer and saw that I was driving only 55 mph in a 65 zone - - and with that, I burst into tears and didn't stop crying until I was 'home,' standing in my aunt's kitchen.

This morning's drive was much better than yesterday's... wish me steady hands and dry eyes for tonight's drive home.
And everybody, HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND! I'll be out and about, shopping for a car! ~ Wish me luck for that too!

And lastly, but not least, THANK YOU SO MUCH to EVERYONE for their sweet well wishes and their caring interest in my safe condition. As things did turn out okay
- thank our lucky stars and all that is good in this world - in that no one was seriously hurt (with the exception of the poor cow, of course), I guess from now on, I'll always have a fantastic "I hit a cow" story to tell.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Here are ten wishys for steady hands and dry eyes, my love.

SO GLAD you are okay.

Closet Metro said...

Note to self: when driving into a cow, floor it.

Daly said...

Here's to steady hands and dry eyes! *=== (my magic wand)

I will be patient and understanding with the slow drivers on the road when going home tonight, for they too, may have put an unfortunate cow out of its misery. (Shame on that cow!)

The paranoia may take a long time to go away. I cringe on the road every time a car comes to a stop behind me. That song by the Police goes through my head, Don't stand, don't stand don't, don't stand so close to me.)

Do you have a song?

san said...

I think it's totally normal that you are afraid of driving at night right now... good point telling yourself that there are no cows in Vegas :) It'll get better!