Sunday, November 05, 2006

My "I Hit a Cow" Story, Part II: Spontaneous Tears

Yesterday, I was at a baby shower for someone in my office - a very 'the cutest' preggers someone, who has lots and lots of friends and family, who all love and adore her. [Note to Self: Do not attend any more baby showers for the next year. My ovaries just can't handle it.] At some point near the shower's end, I overheard someone say to someone else, "She's the one who hit the cow," and once again, there I was with a group of people gathering around and looking at me, asking to hear my story. And so again, there I was, telling my story, and again, trying hard not to cry...

The word spread around my office rather quickly once my boss, at our dept. meeting held on Wednesday, made an opening announcement, stating that he wanted everyone to know and be thankful that I was still here, going on to briefly explain the 'highlight' of my Nevada Day-weekend vacation in Bear Lake Idaho. As people turned around in their chairs to look at me, my eyes welled up and my chin began to tremble as it hit me again: We could have been seriously injured - - we could have been killed.

After the baby shower last night, I went to the store to buy some things. Having wandered the store for nearly 45 minutes, not wanting to go home yet, I meandered over to the 'Personal Care' section to find my facial scrub of choice and go home. Having found it, I looked at the price and realized that it wasn't a matter of this store vs. another store - -over the last couple months, the price has gone up by $1.50, regardless of where I shop. For a moment, this bummed me out for an itty bit, just thinking about the sad subject of money in general - and then? I was struck absolutely dumb and I began to bawl in the middle of the aisle, clutching my stupid tube of facial goop, feeling overwhelmed by my idiocy, feeling so fortunate to even be there buying my ridiculous facial scrub.


I've had a lot of moments like that throughout the past week. On Thursday, alone, I think I burst into tears about 5 different times throughout the day. My general state could simply be described as 'teary.'

At any point, whenever I begin to feel sad or angry about my car and all the expenses I'm about to incur (about $4,500 = no joke), I think this: Better to be spending some money I do have, than to be planning a funeral.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Well, dammit, I'm about to burst into tears for you! Maybe I can offer some telepathic relief, I will take your next outburst off your hands, okay, darling?

Ern said...

Hugs for your tears, darlin. And I know something like that can stay with you for a long time. I hope you are able to move through your emotions without getting stuck in "dwell".

Unknown said...

Hugs to you darlin. I'm glad you're here. It's all gonna be ok.