Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Memory Sparked by Mihow

In 1987 at the age of 12, from a vending machine I bought myself a package of Ding-Dongs. This was not a common childhood practice for me then and remains a HUGE rarity today - I've never liked to purchase/consume plastic wrapped confections that have an expiration date/shelf life more than 1 week away from the time of purchase. Back to my story... with Ding-Dongs in hand, I then realized, "I can't possibly eat even one bite of these without some cold milk!" So I bought myself a carton of milk from a neighboring vending machine. Note: Up until this point, I loved milk. Soooo, Ding-Dongs in one hand, cold milk carton in the other, I took a big, big bite of Ding-Dong and then a big swig of milk to discover, to my ABSOLUTE HORROR, the milk was CHUNKY!?!? Out from my mouth I spewed partially chewed Ding-Dong and CHUNKY milk, everywhere! EVERYWHERE. The milk carton was dropped and its chunky contents spread across the tile flooring for everyone to see and smell the milk gone horribly sour. I then laughed so hard I made myself sick - those who were with me at the time it happened still mention the incident today.

For the record: Never again have I bought a carton of milk or a container of milk of any kind, shape or size from a vending machine of any kind ever since.

8 comments:

Effie said...

eeeeew--Chunky milk! Ever had a ding-dong since??

Unknown said...

I suppose that chunky milk is always a risk when purchasing from a vending machine—or removing from a bachelor’s refrigerator.

Susie said...

Chunky milk is WRONG. Very traumatic. Chunky Monkey is Ben & Jerry's ice cream. It's RIGHT. And therapeutic. Happy Thanksgiving, Angeline!

Anonymous said...

Annejelynn, durlin' I would have swallowed my tongue. Thank goodness, the milk I tried to consume wasn't actually bad. Surely that would have pushed me over the edge.

The ding-dong on the other hand, yum.

mihow

Susie said...

Dang posted!

Amy said...

Ack! You poor thing!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Annejelynn.

Ern said...

BLECH!

honkeie said...

Now a man would have chewed his milk and asked for more....but I am not that man enuogh lol! Nasty, just nasty