Tuesday, July 22, 2008

via the 'Getwell:)Network'

I'm typing from my 5-days-stay hospital room right now using a wireless keyboard, typing with a bum right hand that's stuck with a fat IV, so this'll have to be brief. BTW, this is the first time I've been online since last Thursday morning, so sorry if anyone's thought I'm ignoring 'em... I also haven't watched a lick of TV either, so I have no idea what the latest news may be. [SEMI-RELATED TANGENT: I've decided that even if I can find something I do like on TV (Discovery Channel, History Channel, Animal Planet, TLC, and HG TV), I really abhor the constant commercial interruptions enough that I'd rather not watch TV at all.]

THE MINIMUM BASICS: I had major shakes and sweats at work on Thursday morning, July 17th and my honey-man took me to a local urgent care center by 9:30am. BE FOREWARNED: TOO MUCH INFO. COMIN' RIGHT UP! My urine sample came out looking like organic cranberry juice... the kind you can't see through. It was a brand new development and shocked the hell outta me = I cried for at least 10 minutes straight. Lots of blood work was taken, lots of scans were done, I had a temperature of 100.8 and was told that if it went up, or if my pain increased, I had to see a local E.R.. and my honey-man and I were sent home from urgent care 'round 4pm.

Without detailing the inaccurate readings of our faulty home digital thermometer (topped out at 103.3 while waiting for Triage!?), my temp rose and we were off to the E.R. at 8pm. To make a long night at the E.R. super, super short, we didn't leave until 3:30am - - I was then admitted to a hospital bed and my honey-man went home at 4am.

To date. without listing all the details, the final short of it is this: The docs believe ('believe', meaning they really don't know for sure) that I had a low grade undetected bladder infection that moved into my left kidney. On Sunday, July 20th at 3:15pm, my pee cleared to yellow, but today, after throwing up several times and going through crazy sweating shakes and a 103.8 fever spike yesterday, they've determined that my infection has gone systemic to my bloodstream. They've changed and doubled the strength of my IV antibiotics and I've been told that I won't go home until I've been fever-free for at least 48 hours. Today and last night were my best yet, but my fever hasn't gone below 99.7, so wish me luck!

Oh and here's my needle-sticking count thus far: Right arm: 1 blown out vein from 1st IV attempt in the ER; my current IV; and 7 different blood draws. Left arm: First IV I'd had for 4 days; and 10 different blood draws. Now if we were counting how many blood viles? Man, I couldn't even attempt to determine that number. Today alone? ELEVEN VILES OF BLOOD DRAWN... and more, I'm told, in the coming hour.

Send me good healing vibes - and thanks!

P.S. I'm not sure if/when I may be online again and I can't fathom my Inbox right now, so don't count on that... Typing this post has been exhausting, so this will have to be it for the time being.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers and healing thoughts on their way. Take good care, honey. I'm going away in a few days, probably without internet access, but I'll check on you whenever I can.

Katy Barzedor said...

Ai yi yi, girlie! Sending you happy, fever-free, yellow-pee thoughts. Give us a holla on Twitter when you feel betta!

Squirl said...

Wow, sending you lots of healing thoughts! Hope you didn't wipe all of your reserves typing this post.

Here's to your being well and home very, very soon.

Anonymous said...

Sending healing vibes your way.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, girlie! I hope you get better and are able to get home very soon! I'll be thinking of you. Take care, darlin!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I haven't been here in a long while, but I want to send you warm wishes for a speedy recovery. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Annejelynn, I hope you geal very quuickly. We're thinking about you and sending you much love!
xoxo
Sheryl

Kranki said...

Oh MAN! So sorry to hear you are feeling crappy. I am sending lots of healing vibes your way. Take care.

xo

Daly said...

Oh Annejelynn! How awful. Sounds like a kidney infection? I had one of those out of the blue and they are not fun!

I'm sending speedy recovery vibes your way!! Get well soon. XOXOXOX.

San said...

ouch. oh my god. get better!! soon!