Monday, June 16, 2008

Flooding in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

This first video I've linked is from June 13th, and it eventually loops to play through for a 2nd time, but in the beginning, when they mention the search boat rescue with an aerial shot of Diary Queen and 1st avenue, my step-mum's business is off of 1st avenue in east downtown Cedar Rapids = and her business will be a total loss. FIRST VIDEO HERE = Once you click the link, on the left, select "Watch the Video" typed in red found below 'Multimedia.' And here's the 2nd video HERE, from the same news station, KCRG.

My step-mum's business is beside the more slender brownish high rise seen beside the river in the upper left corner area of this picture below.
See this building on the far left? My step-mum's business is right by that!
Although the river is within 2 blocks of my parents' home, they live on a high hill (thank goodness) in the NE quadrant of Cedar Rapids.

My lil' brother has been a part of the frantic sandbagging effort since all this began. He goes to school down in Iowa City, but right now, if he were to return to school, he'd have to take a 280 mile detour.

2 comments:

Daly said...

That's just awful!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. i hope that water goes down fast.