Tuesday, October 09, 2007

For Wendy & Her Loving Groom

Okay - how do I explain this one... The label on this post is "Gettin' Hitched," but it's not at all about my wedding...

This past Sunday in Glendale, CA, I drove to LA so I could attend the bridal shower of my husband's former wife, Wendy. For some people out there, and those new to my writing, I realize this concept could blow one's mind, but I really didn't want to miss it for the world!

As 'showers' go, hers was absolutely awesome! The spread was magnificent! If she gives me permission, I may post some pictures later! At least of the food! UPDATE: I GOT PERMISSION!

Check out this spread!

We did play one of those shower games (it was one of the truly fun and worthwhile ones!), and one of the 6 questions that I'd guessed correctly (so proud of myself), as to what all her fiance' had given for answers to various questions asked about he and she, it was to guess who he thought her favorite poet is: I wrote Kahlil Gibran

He's certainly one of my faves, that nifty Kahlil fellow. And so I offer this to the gorgeous bride to be and her tender lovin' groom, who will marry this coming Saturday, October the 13th:

You were born together and together you shall be forevermore.

You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days.

Ay, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.

But let there be spaces in your togetherness,

And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love:

Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Sing and dance
together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,

Even as the
strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.

And stand together yet not too near together.

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,

And the oak tree and cypress grow not in each other's shadow.


~ from Kahlil Gibran

4 comments:

Daly said...

That's a beautiful poem. :)

Recovering Mormon said...

Oh, man! Thank you so much. That's the exact piece we are using for the ceremony, for obvious reasons. Post away on the shower pics!

xoxoxoxoWendy

Ern said...

That's one of my favorite poems. My parents had it on a wall hanging thing, and I used to read it over and over when I was put in "time out" as a kid. I read that poem a lot. ;) But it really has sunk in over the years.

San said...

I think this is awesome that you went to her bridal shower. I do believe that friendships between ex-partners can work!!