Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What's a "Stylus"? Do I want one?

*sigh* I'm doing another thing that I've said I'd never ever do (No, this post is not about my moving to L.A.)... I've decided that it's time to shop for a PDA - -

Here's how this decision was triggered: My 24 yr. old sister, who now lives in Vegas, met me at my office last Thursday before we were to leave for dinner together. For about 5-7 minutes, she patiently sat and/or stood to the side in my office, waiting for me to get ready (or rather, witnessing my pained efforts to get my act together) so we could leave. After locking my office, we walked down the hall together as I muttered a couple mental notes to myself. [BACKGROUND INFO: My sister and I, we don't really know each other that well, having only lived together in my parents' home for 5 years, but now that she's in Vegas, we're spending more time together than ever before (and sans parents), and subsequently, we're learning more about each other than we ever could before... The point is this: She's seen more of me in my own element in the last few weeks, than she has in the entire last decade.] And so, as I was saying, we went down the hall, me muttering as we went, and before hitting the stairwell, my sister told me that she's beginning to think I'm schizophrenic... This is not good.

And so, the very next day, sitting at my assistant's computer to quickly do something, I glanced over to where her PDA sat in its cradle, dutifully flashing daily reminders like a scrolling marquee, and I had a thought... I need help.

I've got to admit (sadly) that it's never been uncommon for me to often speak my inner thoughts aloud, most of which are typically fractured, and more often than not, entirely unrelated to the events at hand and/or entirely nonsensical in nature. And there are times when I must ask friends, "Did I just say 'blah blah blah' aloud or not?" But now? I just can't keep track of it all anymore. What I have to say/share, coupled with my To-Do lists? I'm goin' nuts!

I've got a to-do list for work...
And a list for things to be done that would make life much easier for my replacement at work, for when the time finally comes that I'll need to be replaced at work because I found a new job in L.A...
And of course, I've got a L.A. job search to-do list, including a research list, a follow-up list and a call back list...
I've also got a "When I'm in L.A." things to-do list for when I'm staying in L.A. for a weekend...
and I've got a "When I see my Honey-man" to-do list...
And there's a couple lists for my own personal non-work-related, totally non-job search related stuff...

Keep in mind that with each of these lists, more often than not, I no longer have any idea as to where to find any of my things that could otherwise help me get all this stuff on my lists done... Imagine going through this thought process: "Is 'IT' in storage? Has 'IT' been crammed into the bedroom I'm sleeping in? Is 'IT' in L.A.? Do I still have 'IT' at all?"

Oh, and another thing: I used to behave like a living, breathing birthday calendar, and hardly ever, could I forget a birthday, even if I tried... I've missed about 6 in the last month alone...

So yeah, since my sister's lastest reveal, as to what she thinks about me, I've been thinking it might be helpful if I had my very own scrolling marquee, even if the thought of using a stylus 'pen' seems ridiculous AND daunting... For the next week, I'll be researching PDAs before I make a purchase. Wish me luck, as I reluctantly enter the world of PDA use.

1 comment:

san said...

I could use on of these LOL let me know how they work for you ;)