Thursday, December 14, 2006

Romancing the Stone

I've been sick the last couple days (but I'm now wearing winter clothes, liberated from my storage unit last night ~ yahoo!!), and early yesterday, I began to develop a lovely deep and very scratchy voice... and it made me remember something from childhood:

When I was 9 years old, twice in the theater, I saw Romancing the Stone with my mum, and I just loved it! And from then on, I was in love with Kathleen Turner's voice. I wanted to grow up and have a voice like her... It didn't happen, of course.
[SIDE NOTE: I'm remembering and realizing more and more often that my parents were purty liberal with me as a child, when it came to movie ratings and allowing me to view 'more adult' themes... e.g. I'd seen both Sixteen Candles and Breakfast Club when I was 10 years old - ?!?]

Back to Kathleen Turner: As a kid, I didn't know how to use the term 'sexy' to describe anyone or anything at that time, especially since I was entirely unfamiliar with the word's existence until age 11, BUT IF I HAD KNOWN, I would have described Kathleen Turner's voice as sexy. Mind you, I haven't heard her voice since she appeared as Chandler Bing's transvestite father in the TV show Friends... I'm not sure I remember what her voice was even like in Romancing the Stone, I only remember loving it as a little girl.

The voice I'm sportin' today is the closest I'll ever get to Kathleen Turner's deep and breathy voice box.
And this voice is hardly sexy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in an elevater with her once and didn't recognize her until I heard that voice!

Anonymous said...

I frickin' LOVED that movie. And I hear you on the whole purty liberal with the movies you watched thing. My mom let us watch "Risky Business" with my mom, aunts, and grandma and we were ALL excited because we finally got to see the parts she kept fast-forwarding... and then we were like, "Hey, what in the heck are they DOING? GROOOOOOSS!"

Good times, those.
:)

Amy said...

i loved Kathleen turner! romancing the stone! when he got her that white top and skirt! she looked SO pretty.

Elizabeth said...

Sixteen Candles - ahhhhh, memories.

Susie said...

You sound sexy to me. Like Kathleen Turner in Body Heat ;)
Glad you got those winter warmies out, finally.
Merry Christmas to you, sweetie. And may all the surprises in the New Year be good ones. xxx

Elizabeth said...

Merry Christmas, girlie.