Saturday, January 05, 2008

Gimme Some Cake!

Here are my birthday cakes... The taller of the two was made from an angel food cake box mix, and the shorty was our from-scratch effort. We made TWO angel cakes for 2 reasons: #1) In order to compare the box mix to the one made from scratch, and #2) we needed 2 cakes to have enough for 19 people (was kind of an impromptu birthday party), not counting any babies [and #3, we needed the box mix as our back-up, in case we royally screwed up the first!].

And the winner?

First let me explain that the reason the homemade angel cake is smaller than the box mix version is we had issues with my tube cake pan, which we didn't figure out until after we'd filled it with our batter.... as the pan leaked, we lost about 1/6 of the batter! So, we took it out of the oven and gently dumped the batter back into the mixing bowl, and while my honey-man ran off to Kmart to buy us a new tube pan (my hero), the batter began to liquefy during the wait... BUHT, in the final taste test, it won over the box mix, hands down! We had 7 people try both ( 4 of which, didn't know which was which) and it was unanimous.

2 comments:

Daly said...

Mmm...I wish I had eaten more of that Angel Food Cake!!

Psycho Kitty said...

Caaaaake...
Thank you for stopping by...and YES! "Premonition" SUCKED (the life and hope for the future right out of my eyeballs). Grrr.