Thursday, December 01, 2005

Tah Dah! ~ Recipe for "Cranberry Fluff Fruit Salad"

Thanksgiving last year, while we were visiting my parents in Iowa for the holiday, my honey-man discovered for the first time the scrumptious, fruity, tangy yumminess that is Cranberry Fluff. He also met my parents for the first time. And it was also the first time since 1994 that I had brought a significant other home to Iowa to meet the parents!

Anyhow, once my honey-man had experienced the delicious culinary delight that is Cranberry Fluff, he typed up the recipe and emailed it to me before we returned to Vegas to make sure I'd have it for the future.

My own personal notes have been added in either smaller or larger type.


2 cups ground, fresh cranberries - a food processor is a must or all you'll have is a mess!
3 cups tiny marshmallows

3/4 cup sugar

2 cups diced, unpared
(meaning keep the skin) tart apples (I use one Granny Smith, and one crisp red apple of some kind, usually "honey-crisp" apples)
or 2 large cans chunk pineapple (or some of each, I would suppose?)
NOTE:
MY FAMILY HAS NEVER USED THE PINEAPPLE!
1/2 cup seedless green grapes
- we cut 'em in halves
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup either heavy cream or regular whipping cream, whipped
- Oops, I'm so sorry (not really), guess I was wrong... No Cool Whip = Definitely not up to Mormon fruit salad standards!

Combine ground cranberries, marshmallows and sugar. Do not overmix or the marshmellows will fall apart. Cover and chill overnight. The following day, gently add the apples, pineapple (only if you believe you absolutely must!!!), grapes, walnuts, and the salt, and then gently fold in the whipped whipping cream. Chill for at least a half hour before serving. Put in a serving bowl or individual lettuce cups. Trim with clusters of fresh green grapes if desired.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings
(unless I'm there!) and ENJOY!

2 comments:

Dang Cold.. said...

Joyeux Noel my Cranberry loving friend. I'll bet Xmas in Iowa was 'dang cold'. BAHAHAHAHA!!

Okay I'm done now...

Hugs..

dc

Recovering Mormon said...

I am sooooooo making this stuff! It speaks to my shamed inner Mormon.

xoR