Wednesday, December 07, 2005

"Moderate Risk"

Good news this morning ~ Although still considered positive for pre-cancerous cervical cells - a condition now known to me as "dysplaysia" - my biopsy results came back as "moderate risk," versus low or severe. I was, of course, hoping for "low", but either way, whether my results had been found to be low risk or moderate, I now have to see the doc every 3 months for follow-up testing for the next year to monitor my status. I was told my condition may go away altogether on its own, but if not, and my tests continue to test out as positive/moderate, the next step will be to have the top layer of my cervix surgically shaved off - ?!? Naah, it's not as alarming as it may sound, and although I would have to undergo anesthesia, it's just an outpatient surgery, and it would in no way affect my ability to have children down the road someday. At this point, my doc assures me there is very little chance to none that I will ever go so far as to develop cervical cancer, as we'll be watching me like a hawk from here on out. THANKS FOR ALL THE WELL WISHES!

10 comments:

Ern said...

You're a poster child for preventative medicine, chica. I hope it goes away altogether on its own.

Amy said...

Glad you updated about this, Annejelynn, I was waiting to hear about it!

Big HHUUGG to you.
And your uterus too!

That was kind of distasteful, I know. But I just want to send you encouragement and well wishes across the net.

Closet Metro said...

Glad to hear that you've caught it early. Good luck and big hugs.

Dang Cold.. said...

Shamefully, I didn't even catch the post indicating that there may have been a problem. Now that I caught my heart from flying out of my mouth after reading this I'll say that I'm glad that my Annejelynn is going to be fine.

Sheez man. Just reminds me never to sweat the small stuff and to appreciate the ones that are close to me.

Happy Holidays babe.

dc

Katy Barzedor said...

Wow, this sounds like a post I could've written about three years ago. My gyn had his eye on my prize every couple of months or so, as my pap results would always come back abnormal.
He finally decided it was dysplasia, and with that, I went to the hospital to have a d&c, a cone biopsy, and they lasered out the innards of the cervix, too.

Everything has been just dandy since then (knocking on wood). If they have to go in and do anything like that, I can tell you my experience was really good, and I healed very quickly afterward.

Feel free to email me if you have any q's. Glad you're on top of this, so to speak...

Unknown said...

Well, Annejelynn, that's good news! I'll keep my fingers crossed that all continues to be well with you.

Hugs!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, I wish you well, darlin. Not for nothin, but shaving anything off a cervix sounds, um, not fun. Let's hope it never progresses to that.

Recovering Mormon said...

Oh thank god!!Good news indeed.
xoR

Amanda B. said...

Bless your heart Sweetie. I'm glad you got good news, and I hope it continues to be good!

Susie said...

Oh, that's really good news. And thank you for the visuals, here; you look really nice in cross-section :p