Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Real Rainy Week!?!

Constant drizzly, rainy days, one day after another day, they're not something that really happens in Las Vegas - - any rainfall is either insignificant, or it brings on a short-lived flash flood due to our crusty desert conditions, but for the last 4 days, we've had dark and cloudy, wet and rainy days and without much flood drama. I'm sooo LOVING the unusual weather!

I do realize that not everyone is exactly 'loving' the wet weather spread across the U.S. right now, and I'm seriously hoping those hard hits areas will experience some relief and fast! I was listening to NPR on the way home the other night, and heard how many eastern and midwestern states and cities have surpassed their snow removal budgets for the year in less than two months' time!?! Having learned how to drive as a teen in Iowa, knowing what their icy and slushy winter roads can be like, I remember how snow removal is a real safety issue. And don't get me started on California and the flooding they're experiencing, as if that state hasn't got enough challenges to deal with.

Makes me worry - - The U.S. has been struggling for decades to take care of its own. Sure, many of us have our needs met and then some (like me), but there are THOUSANDS - or rather MILLIONS - who don't have their basic needs met for whatever reason, and in today's day, in our modern society, I don't know how or why this is possible. Improper resources management?

In the meantime though, I'll be grateful for the much needed rain we're experiencing here. And I'll enjoy it as well.

No comments: